Monday, October 12, 2009

Some Things I Have Learned

I found this on the Internet somewhere, but these sayings are so very applicable to me and many others I know:

I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles four things:
  • A rainy day, elderly people, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.
    • Rainy day: "oh boy! great time to catch up on reading!" or "let's cook!"
    • elderly people: show those you love that you love them
    • lost luggage: I hope I get frequent flyer miles for its travel!
    • tangled Christmas tree lights: that's why we now have a pre-lit tree (smile)
  • I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same thing as making a 'life.'
    • My one year of 'unemployment' while spending time with my uncle during his last year of life was the best 'living' I have ever done.
  • I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance.
    • ...and third, and fourth... for all my foul-ups, those who care about me continue to extend more opportunities to learn from failure and to succeed eventually.
  • I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands. You need to be able to throw something back sometimes.
    • I never learned how to use a catcher's mitt anyway (smile)
  • I've learned that if you pursue happiness, it will elude you. But, if you focus on your family, your friends, the needs of others, your work and doing the very best you can, happiness will find you.
    • oh so true; happiness has found me, and I am blessed.
  • I've learned that a smile is a choice.
    • I decide to smile often. A smile may be the only sunlight a stranger sees all day!
  • I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision.
    • This is where my heart leading the mind works wonders.
  • I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one.
    • It is easy to let aches and pains cloud what otherwise is a sunny personality. I take Excedrin and always remember to smile.
  • I've learned that every day, you should reach out and touch someone.
    • I send birthday cards to over 100 people throughout the year.
    • I check in on friends and family often by phone and email.
  • People love that human touch -- holding hands, a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back.
  • I've learned that I still have a lot to learn.
    • Oh, how true!
Life is short: show those you love that you love them!

No comments: