Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Why I Don't Blog on LiveJournal

I was reading my buddy WescoBear's blog the other day, and when I first entered his blog, I got a popup with some video-based advertisement, along with this message: "Once the ad ends you'll be returned to your LiveJournal experience."

Fooey! I ain't gonna sit through some ad before reading a blog post. I don't care if it's a free site and they have to earn their support from ads. Fuggataboutit.... If I'm going to be forced to sit through an ad before reading a blog post, I'll surf elsewhere.

That's one reason, among others, that I won't use LiveJournal as a blogging platform. I won't be a party to having blog visitors be subjected to advertising. If Blogger (my blog host) starts doing that without my expressed consent, then I'll migrate elsewhere. As difficult as that would be, I want to ensure that "the experience" that my blog and website readers get when the visit either of my sites is not riddled with ads for products and services.

You may not be aware, but I constantly turn down offers to place advertising on my blog, website, and YouTube channel. Sure, I get offers to make money by accepting advertising, but the small income stream isn't worth aggravating my visitors. Further, I won't want to have a product or service that I don't endorse (or even know about) advertised on any of my sites.

Life is short: keep control.

No comments: