Monday, March 23, 2009

Best Motorcycle Boots

It's funny, but when I wrote a blog post last week about the best motorcycle patrol boots, I have discovered that people searching for the general term "Best Motorcycle Boots" end up right here, on this blog. Update: See a newer, related post about "Best Value Motorcycle Boots" (click here)

Sooooo.... let me tell you about what I think are the "Best Motorcycle Boots" for all-around wear on a street motorcycle. (That is, not a dirt bike).

They are (drumroll...) Chippewa Firefighter Boots (model number 27422). Why boots made for firefighters? Why not engineer or harness boots, such as those made by Wesco, Double H, Red Wing, Chippewa, or others?

The reason why I make this statement are as follows:
  • Comfort: Hands down (or should I say, "feet down,") these boots are the most comfortable motorcycle boots I have worn while riding, and I have ridden hundreds of thousands of miles for more than 30 years.
  • Durability: These boots have a steel toe and are double-stitched at all major points throughout the boot. If it's made for wildland firefighters, it can endure the gaff of motorcycling.

  • Vibram® 100 sole: This thick, durable, "big lug" sole is like a snow tire on the bottom of my feet. It provides superior traction.

  • Flexibility: What adds to the comfort of the boot is that it is flexible at the ankle and the foot.
  • Leather lining: the lining adds to the strength of the boot's construction, as well as its comfort. One would think that a leather-lined boot would get hot. But let me tell 'ya, I have worn these boots on exceptionally hot and humid days that the DC area is known for in summertime. These boots just don't get hot. Unfortunately, tall leather-lined boots such as Wesco Harness or Boss boots do.
  • Fit Technique: These boots have a unique fitting. A boot zipper is laced into the boot's ten eyelets. There are various ways to do that, which can accommodate a wide variety of foot widths. Once the zipper is laced in properly, all you need to do from then on is close the zipper after pulling them on, and open it to take 'em off. (Note, it takes a while for the fitting to break in, but once it does, these boots are very easy to pull on and remove.)
  • Value: These boots are an excellent value for the price. And the best place to buy these boots at the most affordable price is Stompers Boots of San Francisco.

I own more than 80 pairs of motorcycle boots. I have ridden with 'em all. When it comes time to choosing a good quality boot that's comfortable, durable, and suitable for a long, all-day ride with my club on my Harley, this is the boot that I choose.

For more information on motorcycle boots, Guide to Motorcycle Boots.

4 comments:

rolandtaylorjr said...

I agree with you, BHD! Those Chippewa firefighters are excellent boots. They look good and feel good as well. Although, when I won my pair off of ebay, the bidding on them only made it up to about $62.

Anonymous said...

Totally agree! I have yet to figure out why my feet simply hate unlined boots, which feel so hot to wear. Furthermore, some parts chaff at the feet and give me blisters.

My top two favourites are the Chip Firefighters and coming in close second is the Danner Fort Lewis. Somehow, I guess, for folks with large calves and broad feet, lace ups are better than pull-ons, even though pull-ons are a trillion times more macho and hot.

Oh, by the way, your blog should also qualify for best boot advice, best boot critique, best bootman, best...

Booted Harleydude said...

A guy by the name of Ken posted:

"well said Chippewa firefighters are one of the finest ones."

Unfortunately, he embedded a link to a third-party boot vendor in his name as a link, so to be consistent with my commenting policy where links to third-party vendors are strictly prohibited, I deleted his post -- but retained the comment.

Anonymous said...

Someone from India who cannot read violated this blog's commenting policy by placing a comment with a link back to a commercial website.

Here is his comment, with the link deleted:

Hi,

Motorcycle boots protect your feet. And even if you don’t ever plan on crashing, your feet are in regular contact with the ground, including every time you stop. Thanks a lot...