Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Importance of Touch

This photo is not my partner and me, but it could be. We both believe in the intimate feeling of touch. When we greet, it's through touch, often including a full bear hug embrace. When we sit near one another, our hands intertwine, naturally. Heck, I'll even play "bootsie" (that's "footsie" but since I always wear boots, I have adjusted the term.)

Saturday morning is my favorite time of the whole week. We don't have to rush to do anything (usually), and this time of year when I have a summer recess, I don't have to run out to meetings or public hearings first thing in the morning.

As dawn awakens us naturally, my partner and I just lay next to one another in bed and watch the sun's glow light up the trees. We feel each other's touch, from shoulder to toe. Often, we just lay there holding one another without saying a word. This is incredibly important to both of us. It is a way we continue to show our love for one another, and to enjoy each other's warmth and tenderness.

How blessed I am to have a man who enjoys cuddling as much as I do. A man who shares his deepest thoughts and ideas during these times, when we have quiet but often future-shaping conversations. But most of all, I appreciate that I have a man who values the importance of touch. Our touch with one another often expresses more than words can ever convey.

Next time you see someone you care about, greet him or her warmly with an embrace, the touch of a two-handed handshake, and a big smile. Life is short: show those you love that you love 'em.

No comments: