Friday, April 2, 2010

You're Too Damn Happy

I received an email the other day from someone who said this: "You're Too Damn Happy." He went on to say, "all this stuff about your partner and how all these old people took care of you. Bullshit."

And that's all he said.

Hey, fella, the reason why I didn't reply to your rant via email is that there really isn't anything I could say. It is obvious to me that you're hurting. I truly am sorry about your plight and mental state that drove you to write to me and say what you said.

Is my life perfect? No. I've got a lot of things going on that I choose not to blog about. Seriously, people don't want to read about the bad stuff. I have read blogs by others who have complained about life serving them lemons, and usually it comes across badly. It sounds like whining and ranting, which nobody wants to read. There are a few exceptional people who can make a rant sound funny. I mean belly-laugh funny. Unfortunately, I don't have the skills to write humorously. So I usually choose not to rant, whine, or whimper about things that suck. (Though I might have sounded a bit whiney as I was dealing with my broken leg.)

There is so much tension in the world, lately driven by tea-bagging morons, but before that, driven by the economy, politics, or other matters -- it would be easy to get sucked into an uncivil demeanor and to wallow in negativity.

I deliberately choose the opposite. Perhaps it comes from my upbringing, when my parents taught us to look ahead and to look forward. Perhaps it comes from being secure and self-confident. Yeah, some bad things are goin' on in my world, but I can handle it. I can, because -- yep, here I go again -- of that 'net that I have supporting me. Heck, even from Australia, my friend Sue commented the other day about the sunny outlook that I have, and that I have inspired her to smile as she walks along the beaches of the sunny coasts of Australia, a place that I have truly enjoyed visiting.

You see, we're all in this world together. The physical world in my home and community, and the larger world of people with whom we engage via the 'net. Through the power of positive outreach and support, I firmly believe that we can make the world a better place -- one step at a time.

'K, I'll take it: I'm too "damn happy." Heck, I'd rather be "damn happy" than "sucky sad." Smile and get a life, buddy.

Life is short: smile. Make them wonder why.

No comments: