Thursday, July 3, 2008

Dumb and Dumber

I took the day off from work today and rode 212 miles with some cop buddies of mine. We had planned this ride for several months. We got people to pledge an amount of money (ranged from US$0.05 to US$1.00) per mile that we rode. My haul in pledges (computed for all the miles ridden today) was $2,819.60. Once collected, that will be donated to a charity that supports families of officers killed in the line of duty.

While riding across our beautiful State of Maryland, including the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and almost to what we call mountains way west of the bay, we observed a lot of people on the road, including other guys on motorcycles. I really can't call some of them "bikers" because they weren't. Dumb-dumbs wearing shorts and sneakers on a motorcycle are, well, dumb. Then there were the ding-dongs on bikes wearing (off all things), flip-flops. For a short jaunt into Pennsylvania to have lunch in Gettysburg, there were the [deleted] not wearing any helmet
at all, since Pennsylvania repealed its mandatory helmet law. My jaw just dropped when I saw a guy on a big Harley like mine with his woman on the back seat riding happy-as-you-please way above the speed limit in shorts, sandals, no shirt, and no helmets. Oh my gosh. What stupidity.

Then I can't begin to say what I think about the dumb-dumb drivers yakking away on hand-held cell phones, not looking where the heck they're going. I really wish my state would adopt the cell phone laws that were enacted and took effect in California and Washington on July 1, which ban the use of anything but hands-free cell phones while operating a vehicle, and ban them completely for drivers who are under 18. Eventually... but our part-time legislature that looooooves to yak on their cell phones are hard to convince. I'll keep workin' at it.

I was booted as shown, in my Chippewa Firefighter Boots which are sooooo comfortable and they don't get hot at all. I didn't wear leather; it was above 90°F (32°C). Long jeans, shirt, and my full-face helmet, which is well vented and quite comfortable.

Not all the motorcyclists on the road were dumb-dumbs. Many wore boots, long pants, a shirt, and a helmet. But there were far too many in sneakers, shorts, and helmet-less. Uggggghhh... sorry, guys, I just can't abide by the fact that even though the law permits it, some people have to be so thoughtless. Their medical bills cost all of us in higher insurance premiums and tax dollars spent at public hospitals to care for those who are injured and uninsured.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just came across your site, BHD. I was in Myrtle Beach, SC, last week--where helmets aren't mandatory--and like you, I was just amazed at the lack of protective gear worn by bikers. While at the beach, I compromised a bit by not wearing any sort of jacket or gloves (it was HOT, after all) but otherwise played it smart.