Saturday, July 19, 2008

How Can I Help You?

The simple thought or question, "how can I help you?" ... seems to have been replaced by the question, "what will you do for me?" Man, that just drives me nuts. The Starbucks-swilling Beemer-driving yuppies were all over the grocery store and parking lot today where I regularly take some elderly friends shopping.

They stand in the middle of the aisle, as if they are the only ones there. They get angry if you are in their way but don't give a hoot if they block you. They stand there swilling their coffee and yapping on their cell phones expecting to have privacy, and give a dirty look if you say, "pardon me, but the apples that my friend wants are behind you, will you kindly move?"

They leave the store and walk the shopping cart out to their SUV, which they parked as close as they could to the store, even if it meant circling the lot a dozen times instead of just parking a little further away in a clear space. After unloading their groceries into their car, they just put the cart wherever... they wouldn't think of bringing back to the store. Nooo... it's all about them, their needs, what's best for them.

I tell 'ya, nuts this behavior drives me. But I remember what I was taught by my parents and from my faith, to love, to live, and ask, "how can I help you?" Seriously, this world would be far better if more people just took a sec to think about someone else other than themselves.

Pardon the rant, but today's fiasco at the grocery store just sent me over the edge. If I hadn't pulled a child out of the way, a Beemer-driving, cell-phone yapping yuppie would have creamed her. The driver didn't even look, stop, or give a damn. I pray for his soul.

No comments: