Thursday, September 18, 2008

Focusing on Priorities

I've mentioned in some past posts that living with me can be like living with "Taz" -- the Tasmanian Devil from the Looney Toons® cartoons. Here's an example.

Yesterday after work, I was asked, expected to attend, or invited to five functions, meetings, and a public hearing. While none of them were essential to my community leadership position, nonetheless, I was 'expected' to be there... everywhere... at about the same time.

Tonight, there is yet another public hearing (that I would just attend and share some thoughts, not preside over)... then some of my bike cop buddies are setting up for a skills competition that will start in earnest tomorrow. They asked me to come help out. I also have an ongoing, regular meeting of a Board of Directors of an Association that I am supporting that is meeting tonight, too. And to top it off, an elected state official asked me to "drop by" for a cookout -- and perhaps to twist my arm to get involved in yet another activity? (Likely).

Well, it all comes down to priorities. I gently declined or just didn't show up where some people thought I might be.

Last night, my priority was my partner. I had been so busy over the last several weeks that he wasn't getting much attention. The most critical thing in a relationship (gay or straight) is paying attention to the one you love, your "other half," your soul-mate, your best friend. I hadn't been doing that, and he has been showing that he noticed. Rather than run off to another meeting, I stayed home. I prepared a nice steak dinner on the grill and we sat on our deck, enjoying the cool, "autumn-tease" evening. My partner and I had a good conversation, and our relationship is back on track (not that it was falling apart, but shouldn't have been ignored.) After dinner, I took just a few minutes to indicate availability of my "Real Bikers Wear Boots!" bumper sticker, but then turned the computer off and just sat with my partner, doing what he wanted to do (watch TV, which bores me silly but that's what he enjoys).

Tonight, my priority will be my lovely elderly aunt, who needs more help these days. At 93, she is doing exceptionally well living independently, but she's having some problems. So instead of playing local or state politics, or riding with the cops, or attending yet another meeting, I will be spending time with her, to prepare her for some next steps in her life. It won't be easy for her, nor for those who love her, but my priorities remain solidly with family. That's what's important.

Keeping focused on priorities and those you love ... that's what I'm doing. Life is short -- sure, enjoy your boots and leather, but remember to show those you love that you love them, each and every day!

No comments: