Sunday, September 21, 2008

Last Day of Summer

Today is, officially, the last day of astronomical summer. Autumn officially begins tomorrow mid-day. It has been an exceptionally delightful week, weather-wise. Moderate day-time temperatures with low humidity, and cool, brisk mornings. Sure feels like autumn to me.

Thus, the leathers are breaking out. Yesterday when I was at the bike cop rodeo, I just dressed "biker" and wore my red-piped leather chaps and a matching red-piped shirt under my Motocross leather jacket. I soon took off the jacket and put on my vest, which I wore the rest of the day. Since I knew that I would be on my feet a good part of the day, I wore my Chip Firefighter boots, which are very comfortable to stand in for hours, if necessary.

By mid-day, I took off the leather shirt and just wore the vest with a t-shirt, but I kept on the chaps because they just felt good, and weren't hot.


Today, I was running all over doing a lot of things. I took my elderly friends grocery shopping early. I had on my naked leather jeans and Chip Hi-Shine Boots with a long-sleeved t-shirt. Later as it warmed up, I changed into jeans, short-sleeved t-shirt, and my old, previously-mudded but very comfortable tall Chip Engineer boots. I hopped on the Harley and hung out at the local fire station for a while, preparing for Fire Safety Month activities (in October.)

After that, I came back home, prepared lunch for my partner and me, and then took off again on my Harley to run several errands. It was such a beautiful day! Sunny, warm, and perfect for jeans, t-shirt, and a vest. On my way back home, the boys (that is, my boots), found a little mud. Ooops. (smile)


My partner laughed when he saw me, and helped me take off the muddy boots and jeans. I went inside and got very creative in my kitchen. I made a huge lasagna from scratch (except store-bought noodles). I made the lasagna in advance, since it's always better upon second heating, after the flavors have a chance to mix during cooling after the initial cooking. When all that was done (two hours later), my partner and I soaked in our hot tub.

I put on a pair of leather jeans again, and a pair of Wesco boots, and my Stompers Boots t-shirt. I then prepared dinner, which we enjoyed outside on our deck. After that, I had to go meet some neighbors about a project that will start tomorrow in our neighborhood. I am so glad to live in a community where I can be dressed in leather and a Stompers shirt and nobody says a thing.

Last day of summer has been great... and I look forward to Autumn, when leather is more a regular part of my daily wardrobe outside of work.

Life is short: wear your boots and leather!

No comments: