Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Dealing with Disappointment

Yesterday, my partner brought me to the medical center where my right leg and ankle were evaluated. New x-rays revealed a slight displacement of the fibula. The foot and leg were still somewhat swollen, and were all colours of the rainbow... yellow, green, blue, red, and even black.

Oh crap... no cast yet. The doc said that I still have to wait for the swelling to go down and have more x-rays. He had a technician wrap it again in another splint-plus Ace Bandage, this time double-wide to prevent me from twisting it which, hopefully, will inhibit further bone displacement.

He introduced that word that I didn't want to hear -- "surgery." He didn't say that I had to have surgery yet, but he did say that surgery may be required if the displacement of my fibula worsens.

How am I dealing with this news? Well... of course I am disappointed. I wish my partner wouldn't dwell on it. I'll survive. Perhaps I will not get around for a while in two boots, but I will eventually return to a routine. It just will take longer to get there.

This situation with my ankle and leg is bigger than I thought it would be, and requires major reorganization of a lot of my life. It affects work.
It affects my ability to care for my beloved elderly aunt and my senior pals. It affects my voluntary positions. It affects my community advocacy. It affects my minimal social activities, such as being able to attend meetings of my motorcycle club.

I am reorganizing my life, and I will make the best of it. I am not happy, but then again, matters could be much worse. I'll live. I have a partner who cares for me, a family who loves me, neighbors who help, senior pals who keep me company and well-fed, and I live in a safe, warm, comfortable home. Really, if I have to deal with a broken leg, at least I have caring company and a nice place to recover.

Now... where's that damn broccoli? I have some deer raiding the bird feeder and perhaps, if I aim well... [splat]

Life is short: keep smiling -- they'll wonder why.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hang in there .. Begin rendered somewhat imobile definately sucks but I've read your blog and you will come out on top .. you are the great encourager .. I'm pray'in that you heal quickly, and if surgery is necessary that recovery is quick. Look at it this way, maybe this is an opportunity to buy some rigid supportive new boots that will keep your ankle from moving too much while you recover ;)