Monday, February 15, 2010

Wanna Wiki?

What's a wiki, you ask? A wiki is is a website that allows the creation and editing of any number of interlinked web pages via a web browser. A wiki is essentially a database for creating, browsing, and searching through information. A defining characteristic of wiki technology is the ease with which pages can be created and updated. A single page in a "wiki" website is referred to as a "wiki page," while the entire collection of pages, which are interconnected by hyperlinks, is "the wiki."

One of the reasons why website interfaces like Facebook and blogs have become so popular is because they are interactive. They allow you to share information with others and leave comments. Rather than being static, providing one-way content as most "web 1.0" websites do, a wiki is part of that "web 2.0" world that allows two-way communication.

At the suggestion of a friend from Singapore, I have begun moving toward developing a "Boot Wiki." It will provide for a medium to share information about boots beyond what I can do with my website.

It works best when people "join the Wiki team." That way, various people can interact with it and share their collective knowledge and information. However, because the topic is narrow, and the development of this Boot Wiki is being led by a gay man, I am being careful with it. I am allowing others to register to join the Wiki Team if they ask me to join, and I know who they are. (I do not have to have met them in person, but I should have communicated with them, at least, via email.)

Would you like to be among the first to join my Boot Wiki team? If so, click here to sign up. Thanks for considering it. I think it will be fun!

Life is short: embrace new technology!


No comments: