Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Lineup for the Rental

The house I bought in January and had renovated was completed and ready for rental last week. As I have done with other properties I have renovated for rental, I posted a message in a few strategic places, and within a few days, I received a number of interesting prospects from community heroes -- cops, firefighters, and teachers.

I selected several of them to interview, and conducted interviews this week. One applicant didn't show up for the interview, didn't call me to explain what happened, and did not return messages. That was strange. Another person had a really difficult, hard-luck story and I felt sorry for his situation. However, his background check indicated that he lied on his application, and wasn't employed where he said he was. I turned him down. I wanted to help, but if he lied on his rental ap, then his prospect as a good tenant was soured.

I selected a firefighter who is starting out in life with a wife and a three-month-old child. Nice guy, nice family. It's good when things work out. He and his family will move in at the end of the month. I hope to be up and walking again when he moves, so I can go over and help him move in and feel welcome.

Life is short: support your community heroes!

No comments: