Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Weight Redistribution

What I feared has proven to be true, and that is that being forced to remain seated in a chair while my broken leg recovers without getting any exercise whatsoever has resulted in my gaining some weight.

Actually, I haven't gained very much -- five pounds -- but it's all in the worst place: my abdomen. Further, I think my muscles in my right leg (the wounded one) have atrophied a little, so I probably have less weight in my right leg than usual, and even more in my abdomen.

I surfed the web for some information about what to do, including searching for some exercises that I can do without requiring standing or balance. There were a few, mostly related to sit-ups, which I've not been able to do well since Mr. Tucker forced me to do them in grade school. I'll try, but it ain't gonna happen if the ol' body doesn't want it to.

While on the same website, I reviewed suggested lists of things to have in my diet and things to avoid. Of course, having lots of calcium is important for bone healing. I like to drink milk... but oh no, other stuff on the list is reversed. That is, the things they suggest that I eat "in plentiful amounts" are just the things that give me diarrhea.

Sh*t... literally. It's like they looked on my list of what I can't eat, and wrote it all down: soy flour, collard greens, bok choi, broccoli, carrots, pumpkin, sweet potatoes (yams). Salmon and sardines? Nope.... Tofu? Ya gotta be kiddin'! Fruits and nuts -- nope. Beans and chickpeas -- you could hear me fart 'round the world. Tomato salsa... nope. Grapefruit... well, I probably could eat grapefruit, but I can't stand the taste.

I'm sure this is good-for-me stuff, but if it will make me crap all the time and feel bloated and miserable, those things aren't going to work, regardless of the healing qualities they have. I'll just take a multivitamin + mineral supplement.

Then the things they say to avoid: milk other than skim (skim milk tastes so awful; I would rather drink water.) Red meats -- well, if I can't eat vegetables or fish high in protein, how else will I get protein? Hot dogs and hamburgers -- well, we agree there; I'm not eating them. Sugar, caffeine, and soft drinks? Believe it or not, I limit myself to one Coke Zero a day, and that's it. No coffee, no chocolate, no other sweets. I have been good!

I have been counting calories, and my daily caloric intake has averaged about 1,400, which for a man my age and size, is about 2/3 of daily average. But I know I am not burning it off.

So up on the crutches, and walk around and around on a circuit of the dining room - living room - family room - foyer - kitchen - (and repeat).

I just can't wait until I can do this without those darned crutches and on my own two booted feet.

Life is short: watch your weight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about the weight gain at this point. Concentrate on healing that broken leg. Three things reduce fat -- fewer calories, resistance training, and aerobic activity. For the most part, these are three things you can't do safely right now. I wouldn't cut your calories more than you have. The body is unforgiving when it thinks you're going into starvation mode. You're still burning calories, but not nearly as many as when you're mobile.

Realizing that you're a stubborn guy and like me, won't let up once I've set my mind to do something, I googled and found something that might be helpful. Although you technically don't fit this demographic, there may be something helpful at this link: http://exercise.about.com/cs/exdisabilities/a/disabilities.htm

Remember, this is temporary and you'll have plenty of time to drop the excess weight when you're better. But, if you find an exercise or two you can safely do now, you'll feel better physically, mentally, and spiritually. You'll also have the motivation to continue when your leg is healed.

I hope this is helpful.

Kevin