Sunday, October 9, 2011

My Brother Has Landed

My wonderful, tall, dark, handsome, energetic and enthusiastic twin brother and his lovely wife have "landed" (so-to-speak) in Italy. He retired from 32 years of service to the United States this past August. He and his wife took the month of September to roam Europe by train. They had a great time visiting 19 cities in eight countries. They ate well, and saw interesting events and sights. I think when my brother phoned me the other day, he was still in Bavaria, Germany, enjoying Oktoberfest.

Now they own a small villa in the outskirts of Rome, where my brother now has a job working in the private sector, doing what he does best -- negotiating and resolving conflicts and differences toward a calm outcome. His wife has relocated her work to their new homestead.  She does all of her work by computer, while my brother has an office in Rome, and another "office" aboard the train (so he says. He does a lot of traveling throughout Europe, and uses trains to get there.)

I am delighted for their good fortune, and hope perhaps I can visit in the Spring. That time of year is beautiful in Italy, but I have to be honest, what I want to see most is my brother's goofy grin. I love that guy.

He has worked very hard to earn the place in his life where he is now, and I celebrate his new life. While I miss him terribly, we communicate often. He is encouraging me to use Skype. So far, without much success because I am such a "slow adopter" of technology. Nonetheless, we exchange email 2 - 4 times every day, and speak by phone at least once each week.

How blessed I am to have such a close relationship with my first "bestest" friend in the world, and to share his joy and happiness!

Life is short: show those you love that you love them!

No comments: