Monday, June 2, 2008

Going leather-less on the new bike?

My new Harley Road King comes with a rather large windscreen. My old bike didn't have one, so I was accustomed riding full-bore into the wind. Even on a warm day, I could wear a leather vest and full-face helmet and everything would feel just fine.

When I took my first real long ride yesterday, it was about 84°F (29°C), which is comfortably warm. As I was riding, I found that I was getting uncomfortably hot while wearing my thick leather vest over my t-shirt. I had to ditch the vest or sweat to death. (I tend to sweat a great deal when even slightly overheated.)


Hmmm... I wonder... now that I have this windscreen, I may have to ride "leather-less" when it's warm out. I am as comfortable in leather as my own skin. I have always worn some leather while riding my old bike. I guess this is another adjustment I will need to make. Well, perhaps just wear the vest and no shirt. That would be a hoot. But for now, I guess I'll just be well-booted and wear a t-shirt. No gloves, either. They make me sweat like crazy, which is a clammy feeling I detest. I'll just have to be extra careful and be comfortable.

No comments: