Saturday, December 20, 2008

Gift for Elderly Loved-Ones Who Don't Need More Stuff

I have a lovely aunt whom I care for, helping her continue to live independently. She is almost 94 years young. At that age, she has every "thing" she could possibly want. The last thing she needs for Christmas is more "stuff." While it's nice to give a gift of some sort, the plates, bobbles, coffee mugs, and figurines already overflow. The clothes she has are nice, and she can only use so many new pairs of socks or house slippers. Her pantry is full, her cupboards aren't bare. There isn't a thing in the world that she wants or needs.

Being of a certain age, she is quite forgetful. She is not able to get out on her own. She has gotten perturbed with herself when she discovers that she forgot to buy and mail a card to her children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren for their birthdays.

So my gift to her, which I have been doing since I began the practice for my mother 15 years ago, is to go buy the cards for each person important to my aunt. I write the person's name and address on the envelope, and put a stamp on it. Then I file the card in a card organizer by date. (Card organizers are available inexpensively from Amazon.) It's helpful that I keep our large family tree and genealogy, so the birthdates and addresses are already on my computer.

All my aunt has to do (and sometimes with my prompting) is to check the monthly slot in the organizer at the start of each month and pull out the cards for that month, sign them, seal the envelopes, and put them out for the mail carrier to pick up. Simple! Perhaps someone receives a card a week or two early, but that's far better than not getting a card at all. And they are amazed at how she remembers their birthdays! We won't reveal our little secret. (LOL!)

Here I am today, while bread for the neighbors is rising and a home-made Manicotti is in the oven, organizing my aunt's cards into her organizer for this year's Christmas gift to her. Our buddies, Big Bear, Snowbeary, Katie the Koala, and Guido (on the motorcycle), are helping me (long story about these guys, tell 'ya later....)

As they say, it's the thought that counts. This is a way I show my love for someone who loves me very, very much. What a treasure my aunt is in our lives, and what joy we share.

Life is short: show those you love that you love them!


No comments: