Saturday, December 27, 2008

Wesco Boots and Gay Culture

There seems to be some interest and a bit of mystery about Wesco Boots and gay culture. Several internet searches using the keywords "Wesco" and "gay culture" have landed searchers on this blog. [UPDATE: As a result, I received some comments and blogged about this issue again, here].

I am a confident, secure, masculine man. That's how I was raised, and how I behave. I enjoy typical "guy things" like riding my Harley and wearing clothing for the activity, including sturdy motorcycle boots and leather. I also enjoy home remodeling, repair, and construction. While I am not interested in organized sports, that's just a preference -- or lack thereof. It is the objective of this post to describe more about how preferences, stereotypes, and culture are not one-and-the-same.

And yeah, I am gay. Am I "attracted to" Wesco boots because I am gay? Nope. I like Wescos because they are the sturdiest boots around, made to exceptional quality standards, and present a great appearance on my feet. They fulfill the type of image of the guy that I am -- a confident biker. That's it.

As my friend Maf said the other day:

Gay is only who you are programmed biologically to desire sexually and to love. People whether straight, gay, male, or female span a great spectrum that goes way beyond stereotypical traits.

He is absolutely right. Because I love a man and choose to live with him as my partner, treating him as an equal and a mate equivalent to a man-woman marriage -- that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I am a masculine man who likes sturdy, rugged boots.

There are a lot of men who like to wear Wescos. Some gay men have
a fetish for them, some -- like me -- like the boots because of the utility and protection that they provide when I engage in my preferred outdoor activities of riding my Harley and working on construction projects or around the yard. Other men wear various styles of Wesco Boots for activities like logging, working on utility lines, wildland firefighting, and serving as a motor patrol officer. To them, the boots are more like "required" footwear; a part of a uniform -- not anything else.

There is a range of traits and preferences that each person has. Some straight guys don't like boots at all, and choose to wear sneakers in their off-time. Some gay men wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of sturdy, rugged boots. Similarly and in contrast, I
would feel very uncomfortable (and sick to my stomach) if I had to wear dress shoes. I'd rather go barefooted than wear dress shoes or sneakers.

It is really a matter of preference, not having anything to do with whether one is programmed biologically to love a male or a female. People just have to get over trying to apply stereotypes to link preferences for certain things like boots and being gay. The stereotypes cause people to respond in ways that don't help matters much, and sometimes cause strife, negativity, and attacks borne from fear and insecurity.

Masculine men who engage in activities that require solid protection for their feet may choose to wear Wesco Boots. That's really about it... what you see is what you get, no more, no less.

Pet Peeve Relief: The company that makes the boots that are the subject of this post is the "West Coast Shoe Company" of Scappoose, Oregon, USA. They go by "Wesco" and emboss "Wesco" on each pair of boots they make. Guys refer to their boots as "Wescos" -- NOT "Wesco ' s". My pet peeve is seeing an apostrophe used to make a word plural.

Life is short: Wear your boots and enjoy your Wescos!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great post, great words, great guy, BHD