Sunday, August 16, 2009

Leo Ride Leader

Today, August 16, is my birthday and one that I share with my twin, "J," who is visiting with me this week. Photo shown here was created by my buddy, David (Bamaboy), who is a real whiz with Photoshop. He has a great sense of humor, and has become a terrific friend. Thanks, man! J and I laughed our heads off!

Yesterday, I took J to pick up a Harley rental, but right after that, he needed to catch up on sleep since he was jet lagged from his long flight from Europe. While he was napping, I did a "pre-ride" with a buddy of a ride I led today. More on that below.

When I got back, my brother "abducted me" for a "let's get lost" ride. We rode about 100 miles through Southern Maryland and ended up at another brother's home, located on Maryland's Chesapeake Bay. My partner was waiting there for us. This all had been arranged in secret, though I figured something was going on.

My brother invited a lot of the family over. We enjoyed a good old fashioned Maryland crab feast, with all the trimmings. We had a great time. I just love my family. Even my partner -- the "less social" of our twosome -- said that he really enjoyed it.

Today, I led a ride for my club. Each ride gets a title, and this one was simply, "My Birthday Ride." Our destination was a frozen custard place that was far enough away that we would enjoy a nice ride through Maryland's countryside to get there, but not take all day. I appreciated that an off-duty bike cop rode in the wing position, as he had a CB radio (I do not). He was able to talk to our sweep rider so we could get the group back together when we got separated in traffic in a couple places along the route.

My fellow club buddies were great to ride with, and all said they enjoyed the ride. Probably so, because of three things: 1) I did not miss a turn; 2) I did not ride through a water hazard nor ford a stream (LOL!); and it was just a great day for riding -- sunny and warm, but not unpleasant.

I connected a motorcycle video recorder with the pencil camera pointing backwards from my bike. This shows what it's like to lead the pack. Leading the pack is something that us leos are known to do.

Life is short: get out and enjoy it!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy fif... er, six... hm... Argh. Happy birthday to the twin brothers. :)

-- Tef

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday

rolandtaylorjr said...

Happy birthday, BHD! Don't worry. I won't give you the third degree and ask how old. I figure the love you get from all of us keeps you young anyway.

sue.g said...

Happy Birthday from Melbourne!