Thursday, August 13, 2009

Public Speaking

I really enjoy public speaking. For many years, I was on the "rubber chicken circuit," traveling to conferences and meetings to present information and teach courses -- many of which I wrote. I used to travel to more than 100 conferences and events annually (mostly in the U.S.) The travel was grueling and exhausting. However, I enjoyed seeing the people I was there to meet, and getting a chance to see the sights of whatever town I was in. (N.B., I do not travel nearly as much any more, much to my relief.)

Yesterday, I presented at a conference held in the DC area. It was fun seeing a number of people who I had known and worked with for many years. (I didn't see my old boss, though several people asked me if I did.)

Over 100 people attended my session. I was quite energized and definitely "up" for the occasion.

In order to speak confidently without a script, I did what I had learned from experience. The night before, I reviewed my presentation, tweaked it a little bit, and then rehearsed it in front of my partner. He is a great "speaker critic" and gave me some pointers about some things I could explain better. He has heard it all before and knows the content almost as well as I do. I love having him as my audience. He "pulls no punches" and tells me both the good and the bad (or shall I say, what could be better.)

I like to circulate in front of the audience and not refer to notes. I keep the pace moving, quickly delivering my messages and giving anecdotes to which the audience can relate. I was definitely on "a high" from doing what, to me, is fun.

How was I dressed? Considering that the audience was dressed casually, I wore a shirt and tie, khakis, and debated about the boots. I first put on my Tony Lama "red brown" cowboy boots. Then I remembered that I was going ride my Harley to the Metro, and wanted to have boots on that would give me good traction just in case it rained. Afternoon storms were predicted. Smooth-soled cowboy boots wouldn't work.

So I put on my tall Chippewa Hi-Shine Engineer Boots (to which I had big lug soles applied), which to me looked good with the outfit. Nice and shiny. No one said anything about the boots, and I don't think anyone even noticed. Photo here shows me at my local Metro station on my bike where I park it.

Back to work today to the usual routine. I enjoyed the experience of public speaking, and hope to do it again soon.

Life is short: rise to the occasion and have fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still sometimes wear my own Chippewa hi-shines to work, under my trousers, on rainy or icy days when I want more traction under my soles. The only problem I find is that, if they're next to skin, the top of one of the boots (where there's a label stitched) can rub against my calf and become painful over time.

I've evolved my own ways to deal with this but, out of interest, do you have this sort of problem when you wear tall boots under trousers? If so, what do you do about it?

Booted Harleydude said...

Hey, buddy, thanks for the message. I don't have problems like you describe with that particular pair of boots, but I have had with others.

First, since these boots have a buckle, open it a notch wider. Also try inserting a big wad of paper in the shaft when you are not wearing them to help open the shaft and keep it a bit wider.

If that fails, try taping a thin piece of moleskin on the offending area of the boot. That way, you will have something soft where it rubs, and you should not develop a sore. That has worked for me on a pair of Wescos that are too tight right at the top.