Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Why Not Sturgis?

[I am second from the right in this photo taken in front of Devil's Tower, Wyoming in August, 1995. My partner took the picture].

A few friends have asked me, "why didn't you go to Sturgis this year?" Sturgis is a general reference to the largest motorcycle rally held in the United States. The epicenter of the rally is a small town: Sturgis, South Dakota, USA, which becomes a thriving throng of hundreds of thousands of bikers during the first week of August each year. The 69th Anniversary Sturgis Rally & Races was held August 3 - 9, 2009.

I had heard about this big rally for many years, and convinced my partner to go to it with me in 1995, two-up on my Dyna Low Rider. I shipped my Harley to Denver, then my partner and I flew out and met it there. We spent a beautiful week getting to South Dakota via the Rocky Mountains and Wyoming, staying a night or two in various towns along the way. Riding two-up with all of our gear on a cruiser was not something taken lightly, nor provided for riding more than a couple hundred miles each day.

We stayed in a "dive" of a hotel in Rapid City, which we had arranged a year in advance. Oh well, it provided our own private bath, air conditioning, and a bed without bed bugs. We are not the types of guys who would enjoy camping with a bunch of rowdy drunken bikers, so we avoided the camp grounds. (That's where a lot of the visitors stay.)

For the five days we were in the Sturgis area, we rode back roads and byways that provided for fascinating scenery via two wheels. Riding right up to Mt. Rushmore was a thrill. We saw Devil's Tower, Wyoming, Lead and Wall, South Dakota, and the badlands. We were among the few "weirdos" who actually went to bed early so we could get up early, have breakfast, then mount our ride and ride ... and ride... and ride (I put over 2,500 miles on my bike during that trip!) Many others did not seem to awaken until after noon 'cause they stayed up half the night partying.

We visited the mega-destination of Sturgis, itself, three times during the rally. It was quite a scene, with literally tens of thousand bikes parked everywhere. Vendors of anything biker-related were ubiquitous. My partner bought me my "Skyrider Vest" while I was there. But besides a few t-shirts and small items, we didn't get much. We didn't have room to pack it! We did not go to any of the other events held during the rally, such as races (I'm not interested in motorcycle racing), nor parties that were more oriented to straight bikers (women's boobs and such...).

What I noticed most was the noise. Man, it was just LOUD all the time. We couldn't hear ourselves talk. Of our three visits to Sturgis itself, my ears rang and I started getting bad headaches. Some thought I was hung over -- but since I don't drink alcohol, that wasn't the problem. I bought some ear plugs that helped somewhat. But my ears rang and head ached all week. My partner had the same problems.

What we enjoyed most was the scenery. There's nothing quite like riding highways with thousands of other bikers around, and hardly any four-wheeled vehicles. Pity the poor family on vacation driving a recreational vehicle through the area, not knowing the rally was going on. I betcha they thought all those bikes were like gnats buzzing by, going 85mph when they were only going 50.

During this visit, I explored riding without a helmet. There is no mandatory helmet law in South Dakota or Wyoming. I bought some really good eye protection (sort of like goggles) and we rode for about a half-hour helmetless. Then we decided that: 1) the noise of the blowing wind was really bad; 2) we learned what "bugs in the teeth were;" and 3) we felt very uncomfortable. We pulled over and put our full-face helmets back on and were much more comfortable. I have never ridden without a helmet since then.

Why not go back? Well... it is far away and getting there takes a lot of planning. Either ride all the way and bust one's butt doing so, or ship the bike and be without it for a month before and a month after the event. It is over 1,600 miles (2,575km) one-way from where we live. Limiting our daily travel to no more than 300 miles/day (my limit), it would take more than five days to get there (provided we don't stop and see something along the way) and equally as long to get back, not to mention the time actually there. I just don't have that amount of leave to take from work. Plus, my partner can not ride with me any more, and going alone is not an option. Some guys in my club have ridden out there, but they like to ride longer distances per day that I do, so it wouldn't work for me to go with them.

Plus, I hate to say it, but as I get older, events like that are not as interesting to me any more. The noise is the strongest deterrent. Then being around all those people ... really, not something I want to do again. I would love to ride those roads again, and see things I did not have the chance to see before. However, I do not think I will. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt (and the vest.)

Life is short: realize your dreams when you're young -- life has a funny habit of changing your priorities and interests as you age.

No comments: