Friday, June 11, 2010

Pop Music Conundrum

The other day, my fellow blogger StraightJacketed posted a video by Lady Gaga that featured men dancing in boots and leather.

Also a few days ago, my buddy Clay remarked about being excited to watch something that Lady Gaga performed.

Last week, another gay friend remarked how much he enjoyed music by Madonna.

... and all you heard from me (if you heard anything) was a low grumble. I can't stand pop music that most LGBT people like. Screeching by Gaga and Madonna is like nails on the chalkboard to me. Arrrggghhh!

Since the advent of rap music, with occasional pop music additions like I mentioned above, I have pretty much stopped listening to anything. Rap is awful throbbing garbage, IMHO. Pop music doesn't do a thing for me but give me a headache.

I grew up in a very musical environment, and learned to play banjo (since all other instruments were "taken.") I love music, but "real" music. Classical music played and/or sung well is relaxing. But I have a wide and eclectic mix of music I will listen to on occasion: country, rockers of the '70s, vocalists like Anne Murray and Tony Bennett, ... but not Pop that the vast majority of LGBT people enjoy.

I guess once again I'll have to turn in my gay card.

Oh, that's right! I'm not gay! I'm androphillic!

3 comments:

rolandtaylorjr said...

I'm with you, BHD! My sister and I clash when it comes to our tastes of music too. She also likes that pop music while I inherited my parents' love for country music. Sometimes I even change the radio to my favorite station while she's running a quick errand when we go on a shopping trip.

Anonymous said...

Although I don't like all pop music, including rap, I do think that Lady Gaga has a certain brilliance, as do some of today's rap singers. I like to recognize talent when I see it, whether I like the music or not. Just had to rib you a little, BHD!
B in PGH

Booted Harleydude said...

Oh, B, I feel sorry for you... I guess we disagree on a label of "talent." Showmanship, perhaps, but not singing talent, anyway.... IMHO.