Monday, January 23, 2012

Mail Bounces

I enjoy receiving messages from people all over the world who visit this blog and my website.

Unfortunately, there are times when I receive an email bounce, which reads like this:
This is the mail system at host gateway07.xxxx

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients.

The mail system

: host mta2.am0.yahoodns.net[xx.xx.xxx.xxx] said: 554
delivery error: dd This user doesn't have a yahoo.com account
(jimxxxx@yahoo.com) [-5] - mta1434.mail.mud.yahoo.com (in reply to end of DATA command)
[I deliberately obscured the actual email address, but Jim should know who he is]

This is a sample from an actual bounced email that occurred earlier today, January 23. The message from a guy in the U.K. was very nice, and I wrote a reply, but unfortunately, he did not enter his email address correctly on my write to me page, so my effort to respond to him was returned -- and he is left thinking that I never responded and probably worse about me as a person. I hate it when that happens.

Please, if you write to me, follow the instructions to double-check your email address. If it is wrong, even by one character, then it will bounce (or perhaps be delivered to someone else.)

If you are the author of a message from my "write to me" page and have not received a reply, then please, write again, and make certain that I have your correct email address! I will reply to all legitimate messages that I receive.

Life is short: ensure accuracy.

No comments: