Monday, February 25, 2008

Bartering for Boots

I once lived in a European economy where much was exchanged on barter, rather than for cash. I could offer a product or service in exchange for another, and ultimately, I would get what I needed and was able to help others.

Bartering isn't done that much in the U.S. But it can be done if you know when, how, and where to look. For example, I have a buddy who runs a business. He is often overwhelmed with tax questions. While I'm no expert, I've been around the block once or twice. So in exchange for advice and consultation, he gave me something from his inventory: a new pair of Chippewa oil-tanned Engineer Boots. While I wasn't necessarily looking for another pair of boots that I already have, I wouldn't turn 'em down, either. They are very comfortable boots. They're unlined, so you can feel the tall boot shaft rubbing gently on the calf (a good feeling!). I am certain that I will put them to good use while riding my motorcycle. I'll then feel a tad less badly about muckin' in snud, mud, or other wet stuff in the older pair, which take abuse well and come back for more.

No comments: