Monday, February 11, 2008

Thick socks, tall boots

The thermometer indicated that it was 13F this morning before I left for work at oh-dark-30. Ouch! I just wish Mother Nature wouldn't fool with my head. It was in the mid-50s on Saturday, perfect for a great mid-Winter ride on my Harley. Then the wind blew in strongly and the temps plummeted on Sunday. But it is February, and this is the DC area, so I'm not surprised. At least we didn't get howling winds with snow or ice as happened elsewhere in the country.

I'm wearing tall cop boots today, pants over, at work. I just like the feel of tall boots on my legs, even though you can't see the boot shafts. And because it's so darn cold, I have on thick poly/wool socks which keep my feet warm, but not so hot as to cause my feet to sweat. Just right.

There are some Bootmen who enjoy wearing boots without socks. Funny, the few times I've gone sockless, my feet have sweat like crazy. I detest sweaty feet. I don't like the grimy, slippery feeling or the smell. (I'm just not one of those guys.) So it's always socks + boots, and tall boots when it's cold. Or when I'm on my Harley. Or, heck, just when(ever) ... until it gets hot again, then the boots tend to get shorter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about sweaty socklessness with boots. I'm also more prone to blisters if I neglect to wear socks, particularly on the right instep (odd-shaped feet!)