Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Hangin' Out at Home in Leather

Leather doesn't HAVE to be black; it doesn't have to be worn (only) while riding a motorcycle. Leather is comfortable, practical, and just nice to wear.

I have mentioned before about reading stories from guys who are afraid to wear boots in public, for fear of what others may say. I am quite fortunate in that the community where I live has such a casual kind of tolerance that nobody, really nobody, cares what's on your feet or your body. And I'm old enough to have grown beyond caring what other people may say about what I wear.

I go to a lot of public meetings. Hang out with cops, firefighters, and elected officials. Meet my neighbors at various community functions. They all know me, and know that I'm just a guy comfortable in his own skin, as well cowhide. LOL!

For example, yesterday after I got home from work, on came the brown leather jeans, tall brown Wesco harness boots, and a t-shirt. I got busy around the house with stuff, both inside and out. Neighbors drove by and waved. One stopped by to ask a question. They didn't give a second glance to what I was wearing. Really, nobody cares!

Those who only wear leather once-a-year at events like Mid-Atlantic Leather or International Mr. Leather are missing the boat, in my opinion. Yeah, they may like how they look in leather and the persona they put on. But it's all a fake. They quickly change into blue jeans and sneakers during transit and at home. Come on, guys! If you've got it, wear it. Why invest all that money in leather gear if it just hangs in your closet or remains folded in a trunk? Enjoy it!

Life is short: wear your leather, wear your boots! Have fun!

No comments: