Friday, April 25, 2008

Our 15th Anniversary

On Saturday, April 25, 1993, early in the morning, I went to the home of the President of a leather/levi club that I had recently joined. The club was joining the "leather contingent" to march in the March on Washington that day. This was a gay rights march that was supposed to beat all records for attendance.

I was nervous. I was new to the club, and such a club was still a bit intimidating to lil' ol' quiet suburban-living me. I didn't really know what to expect, who I would meet, and what would happen.

I was greeted warmly by the club President and a few other club members who where there. Then out of a back room emerges this man who I had heard about, but had never met. He extended his hand and said, "hi, I'm [BikerBeef]." I returned the handshake.

Well, the rest is history. Neither he nor I were looking for a mate or a partner. We weren't even looking for a date. But something magic happened that day. I met the man who has become my soulmate, lover, partner, confidant, and best friend.

We've learned a lot and grown with each other over these 15 years. We've had our differences, disagreements, and challenges. We both worked hard at overcoming obstacles, because deep down, we love each other more than anything else in the world. We have traveled together on three continents, cross-country two-up on my Harley, built a house and made it our home, and more importantly, built our lives as two hearts melded into one.

He's my man, I'm his, and together we'll travel down this road of life we have made for ourselves. What's best on this 15th anniversary of ours is that I'm still head over bootheels in love with my partner, as he is with me. What a blessing.

1 comment:

Cliff said...

Congratulations to both of you! We'll be celebrating 25 (and 4 legal) in July, and I know what you mean about "head over bootheels." It'll just get more so!