Saturday, April 26, 2008

Important County Employees' Housing

It's just a real shame that housing costs so much that even in today's depressed market, those who really work hard to keep our community safe and educated can't afford to live here. Recent stats have shown that more than 65% of the police officers, firefighters, and public school teachers live outside the county where they work.

I try hard to make a difference in the community where I have lived my whole life. I own some houses that I rent out. I work with a county agency which identifies employees in public service who would like to rent a home in the county, and whose incomes are below a certain threshold. There are some other things the agency does for me as a landlord, and in exchange, I rent my homes to these important employees so they can live here. I don't make market rent, but I feel good about providing affordable housing to cops, firefighters, and teachers. There are some tax incentives to do this, which make up somewhat for the lower rental income.

Today, I rented a house to a motor officer. He's a great guy. I'm sure he will take good care of the house and the neighbors will feel a bit safer, too. Great day -- especially when he came to my house on his motor and in uniform to sign the lease. My own neighbors were all watching out their windows. Te he...

No comments: