Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Should I or Shouldn't I?

You have all seen them... the bikers with the patches that indicate affiliation with a club or (h) chapter on the back of their jackets. Even me -- I have an old leather jacket that has (h) chapter patches on the back.

BTW, I am not allowed to say what [h] stands for on this blog, but if you really want to know, write to me and I'll explain.

I have been saving for a while, and have decided before the cooler, Fall weather sets in, to get myself a real honest-to-goodness Langlitz Columbia Jacket, as described here. Yep, it's time to move up to the best leather jacket for bikers that the world has to offer.

I had a long conversation with Dave Langlitz the other day about whether he could have patches sewn onto my jacket when it is made. Yes, he said, he could have that done. But he also gave me some information that caused me to re-think that option.

He said that it is likely that the jacket will outlive me -- and that it could not be sold on the used market with patches sewn on it. He also said that if in the unforeseen circumstance that the jacket is made for me but it didn't fit, he could not re-make another jacket since the first one had patches on it.

Dave further suggested that perhaps I have the patches applied to a vest, and wear the vest over the jacket. Then if I wanted to go somewhere without the patches showing, I could just take the vest off. However, considering the bulk of the jacket, a vest on top of that and on my body would make me look like the Abominable Leatherman. This really isn't an option for me.

My partner suggested that I have the patches applied to a solid but thin piece of leather which I could attach to the back of the jacket with snaps. He further suggested that I consider using another thin piece of leather for the patches that go down the front right side that face forward, and snap it on as well. Snap-on- snap-off.

Knowing myself, I wear my old jacket with patches regularly, and haven't really had an occasion where I did not want to have patches on it. For example, I don't go into gay bars (anymore, but even if I did, I wouldn't wear that jacket. I have others.) From knowing how and when I wear my old jacket, I know that I would likely get a lot of use out of the new one if patches were on it. However, that does not negate the diminution of the resale value of the jacket down the road.

Should I or shouldn't I? I conducted a poll on this blog, and it came out rather evenly divided. Oh well, I'll figure it all out eventually.

Life is short: get the best gear and wear it!

No comments: