Thursday, June 11, 2009

You're Talkin' To the Wrong Guy

On Saturday, I spent a good bit of time at the destination of a motorcycling fundraiser activity organized by my club. I rode my Harley there, and was dressed "traditional biker" -- meaning I was wearing jeans, t-shirt, Chippewa Wildland Firefighter boots, and my leather vest with patches on it related to the club. I looked like any other biker/club member.

I guess because it looked like I knew what was going on or that I was in charge (I wasn't, but perhaps at the time I may have been giving directions on setting up the grilling station), a visitor walked up to me with a buxom brunette. He said that he had opened a franchise of a restaurant in a local strip shopping center, and that on Monday nights at 8pm, he would be offering specials on wings and beer, served by fine young ladies like her (pointing to his companion.) He explained that he was trying to appeal to the biker market and wanted my club's help in patronizing his establishment.

Okay, I can understand that. The economy still sucks and fewer people are eating out. He knows that a competitive restaurant that uses an owl symbol for a logo and the owl's call in its name has a "bike night" every Thursday night, so he wants to get in on the action.

What he didn't realize is that he was talking to a guy who doesn't eat out, who doesn't stay up late (defined as after 9pm), who doesn't drink alcohol, who is gay, and who finds that owl place distasteful and won't patronize it.

I tried to be nice, but when he persisted to ask if I personally would come to his "bike night" next Monday night, I first said, "well, no; it's too late." I explained that for me, 8pm is just too late. I also explained that appealing to responsible motorcyclists by offering reduced prices on beer is not such a good idea. A responsible biker will avoid drinking alcohol if he will be riding his bike, such as back home.

The franchise owner thought about it and said, "that makes sense. How about if I offer $2 pitchers of soft drinks and hot wings served by (the girl with him), would you come then?"

Ummm... no. I'm not really interested. As I said, I just don't like to go out after work. And I can't eat spicy food. It doesn't agree with me. But that's just me. My diet is strange.

But the guy persisted... "we really need your business, and you can have fun being entertained by (the buxom babe.)"

I finally had enough. I smiled at him and said, "look, I'm gay. I am really not interested."

The franchise owner's jaw dropped, but I have to give him credit for not saying something stupid. He just said, "well, can't blame a guy for tryin'." Good response! I told him that I appreciated what he was doing and although what he was promoting isn't something that I was personally interested in, I would still be happy to let others in the club know about it. He said thanks and he and his companion went on their way.

Hmmm... this masculine gay man has done it again -- broken stereotypes without even trying.

Life is short: be the man you are, and enjoy life!

No comments: