Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Outcomes and Other Stuff

Have you ever had one of those days when your mind is just a jumble? That's how I'm feeling this morning. I stayed up too late (until after 10pm!) last night, so I'm still groggy this morning, since I woke at 4am. I don't function well on less than about 7-1/2 hours of sleep.

Lots of things going on... some good, some not. Read on if you like....

I was really pleased that I was able to facilitate getting 502 people to the voting polls yesterday. I was thrilled that they had more than ample voting equipment at the state's largest precinct and there were not any lines except during the first hour. After 8am, there was no waiting. I had anticipated over 800 people wanting rides, but when many heard that there were no lines and parking was plentiful, they either called or left a note saying that they didn't need a ride after all. Our band of merry volunteers completed their rounds by 3pm, and we were home free. I then went to vote myself -- no lines, either -- though it was a madhouse in the morning.

I am delighted with the outcome of the U.S. Presidential election. It was an historic event -- all elections of this nature are -- but most telling was what someone I respect wrote in his local politics-oriented blog this morning, and I'll quote:

Everywhere in America, liberals are awakening to sunrise after eight cold years of darkest night. They celebrate. They dream. But they should also reflect. Euphoria on the left is understandable given the failures of the Bush regime and the rancor of the political season. It is the latter factor that fuels the left’s sense of triumph as well as its sense of grievance.

I am pleased that our country will have a leader who promises to restore its credibility and integrity in its relationships with other countries of the world, which has been so badly damaged by the current President. Our new President-elect has made other promises, too, which if put into effect, will be great to see. But it all depends with whom he surrounds himself -- and if he will listen to and act on advice from knowledgable experts. And if Congress doesn't get drunk on power. That tends to happen when both the House and the Senate, as well as the President, are from the same party. They gotta be respectful and careful, or lose the majority.

Tell 'ya the truth, this is somewhat of a seminal moment for me. I am suddenly feeling very OLD! Wasn't it a typical belief as you were growing up that the President is older than you? This is the first time in my lifetime that the President will be younger than me. Man, for some reason, that makes me feel really old. (But I'm not quite trading in my Harley for a old-fart sedan, even though I did buy a "geezer-glide" this year! LOL!)

I'm also happy with the outcome of some Congressional and Senate races. It was time for ol' Liddy to go.... as well as to keep away some radical right-wing zealots who ran, and lost, in my home state and neighboring states. But most of all, I am very happy that the walrus-tooth-headed dingbat from Alaska won't be our country's Vice President. She scared me to death. I have restored faith in the American People who saw through her thin veil of "soccer-mom-ish-ness" and truly felt, as I did, that we couldn't have someone like that just one heartbeat away from the Presidency.

A down-side today is a big frustration with a mega-company that provides my telephone and internet service at home. The service "died" in the middle of the night. After two calls and 90 minutes on the phone with them, I finally persuaded them to send a service tech to my house tomorrow to try to fix it. It shouldn't be that difficult, it really shouldn't.

Another down-side is that today is my boss' last day. His position was cut by the company for lack of funds. He is a really great guy, and I admire him a great deal. But the sucky economy resulted in another job loss, this time very close-to-home. Who knows, I could be next -- though for now, things seem to be okay. Some co-workers and I are taking my boss out to dinner tonight.

Oh well... on to more pleasant things. I'll be smiling a lot today, because that's just my nature. Remember: Life is Short! Smile! (and give someone a chance to ask, "what are you smiling about?)

No comments: