Friday, November 14, 2008

Oh Brother, It's My Brother

Guest blog written by BHD's Twin Brother

Hi, it's a pleasure to have been invited to be the first guest blogger for my brother, BHD. Just call me J.

I have been following my brother's blog since it started, as well as the million other things he does. To tell you the truth, I can't keep up with the guy. I have always called him "Taz," which is the name of the Tazmanian Devil in the Road Runner cartoons that were popular when we were growing up. He's always running off somewhere, stirring up a lot of dust. But he leaves the world a little bit better in his wake.

We are fraternal twins, meaning I got the looks and he got the brains. Well, not quite like that, but we have kidded each other like that for a long time. But what it does mean is that we are different. Often when we are together, people look at us and say, "you're twins?" We really don't look much alike. Our voices are different, too, but when we are together, we complete each other's sentences sometimes. It's weird that my lil' bro' knows exactly what I am going to say, and how I plan to say it. What's even more scary is that he knows what I'm thinking.

I call him my 'lil 'bro because he is so short -- six inches shorter. But I am 193cm (six foot, four inches for people who still use that backwards measurement system in the U.S.) But he will not let me forget that he was born right before I was, so he and all of our siblings still pinch my cheeks and call me the baby of the family. I hate that....

I have been working and living in Europe for most of my adult life. It is different, but rewarding. I met my wife over here, and we were married last year in Italy. Of course, my 'lil 'bro in his boots was my best man. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Oh -- speaking of that -- let me say publicly that I am NOT the Imelda Marcos of shoes as my brother is the Imelda Marcos of boots! But that is again where we are different. He likes boots -- he always has. It is as he says on this blog, "the way he is."

What I want for my brother is that he continue to enjoy his life, and continue to offer fulfillment of needs he sees in the community, and with our family and his friends. That he lives comfortably with his life-mate partner, who is a great guy and asset to my brother's life. He keeps him grounded (else he would go flying off on yet more activities and tangents.) I want him to live free of discrimination and injustice -- as happened to him as recently as this week. We must remain open and accepting of our gay family and friends, and value the contributions and benefits we receive from them. Heck, he wants to marry his partner, and I'm all for it! I think it's a great thing! Why this world has to be so narrow-minded is beyond me. But I'll leave the political work to "my 'bro the 'pro."

I am impressed with all that my brother does, but I will not go into more detail here. I don't want it to go to his head. But what I want to say is that I love him very much, and always have. He is thoughtful and kind, warm spirited and more loyal than a Boy Scout. His energy and zest for life is uplifting and endearing. If you are fortunate to have him as a friend, you will know what friendship really means. He shows it in all he does, as he does with me and our other siblings and family.

I love you, you big bad biker dude! Keep the rubber side down, and your heart set on all the right things, as you have it. I continue to be amazed by you!
So, 'lil 'bro, how'd I do? You never thought I would write a guest blog, did you?

3 comments:

Booted Harleydude said...

I know, big 'bro, that I can always depend on your love and support, your affection and good cheer. It's what makes "us" -- "us!" You amaze me, too, and always have. I remain, fondly, your biggest cheerleader!

Ti amo con tutto il mio cuore.

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is all going to go to his head, but it's a wonderful tribute.

You are forgetting that your brother's real father was the milkman. No wonder you two don't look anything alike.

Love you both,
...one of your sisters...

Anonymous said...

Let a cousin get into the act. Do you know what he does for my Mom? She would not be able to live independently if it weren't for his care, concern, and ongoing assistance. I have no idea how he does it. Our side of the family is truly grateful.

I've read his blog too. I believe it when he says "life is short: love those you love each and every day." He shows it. If just a few more people in the world would spend time caring for others instead of tearing others down, how much better a world it would be.

Your left coast cuz