Tuesday, November 11, 2008

No Room at the Inn

There's a serendipitous convergence of timing between the dates when Mid-Atlantic Leather Weekend (January 16 - 18, 2009) will be held and the inauguration of the next President of the United States (January 20). According to news reports, the inauguration and its related parades, parties, and balls will attract the largest crowds that Washington, DC, has ever seen. Ever. That's a lot of people!

Hotels have been booked solid for months. The few rooms that were available last week have been booked for two to five times as much as they ordinarily go for. I kid you not, there are some rooms that have been reserved for over $12,000 a night, with a four-night minimum.

Even the sleazy, run-down hotel that serves as the host of MAL is getting into the act. While they did guarantee rates for those who made reservations long ago, they are throwing MAL attendees out no later than the 19th to accommodate people who will pay five times as much for a room there.

With as crazy as it has been in finding a hotel room in the city, much less anywhere within 50 miles, people have been calling friends and family who live here asking if they can stay. We're no exception.

Yesterday, I heard from someone I met at a conference ten years ago, but haven't heard from since. He actually had an interesting angle, and at least was honest in that he acknowledged that we had not kept in touch, "but that wouldn't stop us from renewing our friendship." I have also heard from four cousins, two other more distant family members, and about a dozen friends. "We're happening to be in Washington on January 19 (or 18, or 17...)... we're wondering if we can crash at your pad -- just a couch is fine. Nothing special."

Then there are the guys with whom I have exchanged email over time and who have recently contacted me again. They begin with friendly banter, then ask, "I'm coming to MAL and can't get a room. Can I stay with you?" Most do not realize that I do not live in the city and it takes a bit of doing to get there from where I live. Traffic will be a nightmare around inauguration time, and I'm sure the Metro system will be crowded, too. It's not like you can walk out our front door and be in the city in a few minutes.

To all: thanks for your interest and renewed friendship and camaraderie. Sorry, only my twin brother has a "no-reservation" reservation for our guest room, and that's it. My partner and I are planning to "nest" during that time, since we will be off work. We can see the parade and swearing-in much better on TV anyway -- so can you. Sure: celebrate, enjoy, have fun. Sorry we will not be able to accommodate anyone else.

And if it gives you a little insight into me as a person: I was asked if I wanted a ticket to an inaugural ball. I declined. I just don't have time to polish my tiara. (Actually, I'm with my partner on this type of thing: I detest crowds like that, I can't stand dressing up, I don't drink, I can't dance, and it goes on way past my bedtime. Events like this are not for me!)

Good luck finding a place to stay if you're coming for MAL and/or the Inauguration if you haven't found a place yet. I don't think anything is available anywhere.

No comments: