Saturday, November 1, 2008

Odd But Fun

It was a beautiful day today in Maryland and nearby Delaware. I took a motorcycle ride to Bridgeville, Delaware, which was about 110 miles (177km) away, on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay. The morning started out quite chilly, so I wore my tall brown custom Wesco Harness boots, jeans, and my thick biker chaps and, of course, my warm leather jacket over a t-shirt and sweatshirt.

The reason for going to Bridgeville was to watch the World Championship "Punkin Chunkin" contest.
At first I thought it was just a silly affair, but I see that lots of people take it very seriously. They spend all year manufacturing what they call "machines," which are large air cannons. And I mean LARGE! Some of the cannons were more than 50' (15m) long! One-at-a-time, a team would load their cannon with a pumpkin, and charge it up to fire the pumpkin across a large field. The winner, which will be announced tomorrow at the conclusion of this three-day event, is the team that fires a pumpkin the greatest distance. Today, one team fired a pumpkin over 4,200 feet! (1,280m)!

By early afternoon, the temperatures reached 75°F (24°C). That is quite unusual weather for this time of year in Maryland. It made for a delightful ride over the Bay Bridge and back, along Maryland's uncrowded highways. A beautiful day, a beautiful ride, great friends, interesting destination. What more could you ask?

Well, today would have been perfect if my partner could have been with me, but alas, his disability prevents him from riding with me. I missed him a lot as my passenger. But when I got home, he and I sat in the forest behind our house to watch the sun drop slowly toward the horizon, and I told him all about it.

Life is short: wear your boots, ride your ride, and enjoy!

No comments: