Monday, September 7, 2009

No Labor Today!

Today in the United States is Labor Day, which is the holiday that marks the unofficial end of summer. The holiday is late this year. Schools have been open for a week or two in the area, and most people have returned to work. The Metro has definitely been more crowded, and predicted to be worse on "Terrible Traffic Tuesday" when everyone and everything, including Congress, is back to work (or at least, "back to the office.")

The past two days of this three-day weekend have been very busy for me and my partner. Our "honey-do" list around the house had several major items knocked off of it, from building a new book shelf for my partner from salvaged red oak (including routed edges and corners), installing new quarter-round in the hallway, preparing and seeding the lawn area that I tore up a few weeks ago when I installed underground rainwater drainage piping, and replacing batteries in about 20 smoke alarms for seniors. I dunno, there were dozens of other little things that were accomplished, too. Soreness prevails.

I did manage to drop by two birthday parties for family. That was fun, albeit too brief.


Today, however, I absolutely insisted on having the day off. Enough with the honey-do list! I hope to go on a long ride on my Harley with a group, weather permitting. My fellow riders are great, and it is, after all, a holiday! No labor today!

Life is short: get out and enjoy it!

No comments: