Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Reflections on a Visit With My Best Friend

By the time you read this, I have returned to my home in Maryland, snuggled a warm hello with my partner, returned to work and my daily hectic life.

Photo above shows my buddy AZ and me relaxing after working through the weekend. AZ had to work for his employer and I offered to do work for him on his house. I felt good about accomplishing a lot of things that needed to be done.

Last time I visited AZ, I was taking vacation time and was there to have fun and explore the state where he lives. I enjoyed a different visit this time. It was "work focused" instead of "play focused." What I did is what friends do for each other: I helped him with things that I could do using my skills as an electrician.

AZ knows how to be a rock-solid good friend, and I am honored by and cherish his friendship with me. AZ is also very good to many others -- such as the owners of the little dog sitting on the couch above my right shoulder. These friends had gone away for the weekend, and AZ took care of their dog. That is one small demonstration of what a good soul AZ has, and why so many people think so highly of his quality of character.

I wish I had more time to stay perhaps and play a little bit in the Grand Canyon State (Arizona), but that just isn't in the cards right now. I have a workload beyond belief at home (both for my employer and in my civic life), and I just couldn't take more than one day off. That's how things are for me for the days, weeks, and months to come.

Life is short: help others using your skills, knowledge, abilities, and giving your time.

No comments: