Monday, September 14, 2009

Mentor

Here's a photo of me with a woman who took me under her wing back in the 70s, and taught me everything she knew about working as a volunteer leader in a major non-profit organization.

She always was kind and thoughtful, and has a sense of humor that kept me rolling. Thorough and precise in her work, she taught me where to look for information and how to help clients in a genuine and case-specific manner. I was amazed at how quickly she could cut through the b/s and find the answers to challenging questions, and come up with creative resolutions to many situations.

We became fast friends, and served together on the Board of Directors of this organization for about 15 years. As friends, she and I went hot air ballooning, where upon a bad landing she broke her leg but said that she loved the experience. She watched me skydive often, and had she not had a doctor tell her that she couldn't go with me, I think she would have.

What we didn't tell the doc about was the number of times that she got on the back of my Harley and went for a (short) ride. We always laugh about that. When I accompany her somewhere, which nowadays is pretty much reserved to the dining room in her retirement home, her friends always ask, "is he the guy who took you on his Harley?" In boots and leather, I smile back and say, "yep, that's me. Do you want a ride?" The aghast reaction is amusing to watch, especially when my mentor says, "you ought to try it -- he doesn't drop people off the back any more." (giggle)

My partner and I spent a wonderful day this past Saturday visiting my friend, my mentor. He adores her and I enjoy watching the two of them interact, laugh, and smile.

Life is short: show those you love that you love them.

No comments: