Sunday, October 5, 2008

1,000 for 1,000

On Saturday afternoon, 71 volunteers (including my partner and me) went around a local retirement community to install a new battery in each of 1,000 smoke alarm units in 788 homes in the community. (Some homes had more than one smoke alarm). This was purely a voluntary effort. Many of the volunteers were from the community itself, while others were from a supporting company that donated the batteries.

We got the job done in about three hours, and I accomplished it all while wearing my banana-colored Frye Campus Boots. (Nobody said a thing about the boots, by the way.)

The community had done a lot of work to line up those who would admit us volunteers to their home and do the battery change-out. We also distributed some home fire safety information produced by our county -- and whose messages were based on content I wrote years ago. (Small world.) We even had a crew from a local television station cover our event, and a two-minute interview appeared later on the late-evening news, though I didn't see it. My e-mail this morning was brimming over with messages from family and friends who saw it and sent kind messages of congratulations.

It was a lot of fun, with great spirit and camaraderie among all who participated. I have to tell 'ya, though, I was wiped out. I got my annual flu shot first thing Saturday morning, and despite taking aspirin, the mild side-effects of the vaccination took their toll. By the afternoon, I was achy and sore, and got really tired. But it was all well worth it to know that my neighbors and friends are just a bit safer in their homes.

After going to bed at 8:00 last night and sleeping soundly, I awoke at sunrise refreshed and feeling great! I snuggled with my honey for an hour, then rose to prepare a great home-made waffle breakfast. That will give me energy to ride on a planned motorcycle ride on a gorgeous, clear, bright, and beautiful day.

Change YOUR smoke alarm batteries if you haven't done it within the past year. And remember: life is short -- wear your boots!

No comments: