Thursday, October 2, 2008

Forgetful in Leather

My mother, my siblings, and my partner have all said over the years something to the effect of, "if your head weren't screwed on, you'd lose it!" Implying, fairly accurately, that I am forgetful.

My excuse: I have so many things running through my head that I forget some things some times. My partner is sooooo very forgiving of that persistent problem. I'm glad I can type as fast as I think, or I would forget what I am writing about.

Oh, yeah, right -- subject of this post: I am forgetful in leather. This morning was rather chilly at 50°F (10°C), but at least it was dry. I got the red-piped chaps from my gear closet and put them on right after I got dressed, and well before I left the house. They're just so comfortable. My partner doesn't even ask any more when he sees me in dress clothes for work with chaps on. He knows I'll be riding my Harley to the Metro.

This morning, he just gave me his usual warm, lingering embrace, kiss, "I love you," and grabs his lunch to leave for work himself... and I go about sorting through agenda items across the dining room table for a meeting in which I will participate tonight.

Okay, back to the subject: to get myself to the Metro for my commute to work this morning, I did my T-CLOCS, put on my warm Motocross leather jacket, helmet, eyewear, gloves, and rolled the Harley to the end of the driveway, fired it up, and took off. I enjoyed a nice ride to the Metro in the cool autumn air.

When I got to the Metro station, there was another biker parking his bike in the reserved motorcycle spaces, and we talked as we secured our respective motorcycles. I removed my briefcase from the TourPak and put my jacket, gloves, and helmet inside. I locked it up, as well as the bike six-ways from Sunday. Then I covered it: out of sight, out of mind.

Off I stroll to the Metro entrance, chat briefly with the peppy free-rag newspaper guy, go into the station, through the turnstile, and down the escalator and get on the next train to depart. It is then that I look down and see that I still have my chaps on!

Oops... but man, they are SOOOOO comfortable. I don't even feel them when they're on. So I just rode the rest of the way to my exit station with them on, and walked to my office. It was only then that I took them off.

A few people on the train gave me an odd look, but didn't say anything. I would have worn them all day had I not noticed... and for a meeting with the Big Cheese today, perhaps wearing chaps with a sport coat and tie might not be a good thing. (smile.)

Life is short: Wear your boots and leather (but note to self: remember to put all of the leathers away when you park the bike!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Enjoyed your beautiful description of how comfortable your chaps and boots were and that you continued to wear them to work. Can understand how if one is comfortable to just continue that way. You are able to share your activities and feelings in a very delightful descriptive manner. Hope that you will share more experiences.
booted paul