Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween, folks! And for visitors from other countries to my blog who continue to be in awe or bewildered about our quaint American customs, let me explain that this is a non-religious "holiday" oriented to having fun. The holiday is focused on children, but these days, many adults enjoy it too.

It is a traditional Halloween custom to wear a costume of some sort on this date. Children used to dress up as ghosts and ghouls, but nowadays are more likely to wear a costume depicting some current character in popular television shows or movies. Some may even dress as the scariest person in current news: Pom-Pom Palin (man, that woman really frightens me!) The kids go door-to-door after dark and yell, "trick or treat." Frankly, I have no idea what will show up at my door tonight, but we're ready. We have lots of bags of treats to hand out.

So here's a twist -- my rather traditional, staid office will be having a Halloween luncheon today for the staff, just for fun. We were encouraged to wear a costume. Well, okay... I have yet another "excuse" to wear a favorite uniform. I have two books of citations ready to hand out: one for those not in costume, citing them for failure to share the spirit of the holiday, and one for those in costume, citing them for failure to comply with the company dress code. In the former situation, if someone not only is not in a costume but actually has the nerve to wear a suit, they will get a double fine noted on their citation!

Some readers will remember that my family has a tradition of having dinner together on Friday nights. We are not doing that tonight, so that my siblings with grandchildren can enjoy sharing the evening with them, and some will stay home to give out treats for the kiddies. Some of my nieces and nephews are planning to go to parties, as well. For our household, my partner will be watching his boob-tube while I will give out candy to the kids, then go to bed early, as usual. We are planning to rise early on Saturday, where I will give my partner his treats (that is, a really good breakfast) before I head out on a long motorcycle ride to watch pumpkins being catapulted. More on that over the weekend.

Update: My partner has the silliest sense of photo imagery humor. Click here!

Happy Halloween! Be safe and have fun!

No comments: