Friday, October 24, 2008

It's Fryeday!

I have blogged often about Frye Boots, and have been disheartened about their demise since the brand was bought out by a holding company that operates out of Great Neck, New York, for cheap, low-quality boots now made in China. Yuck.

Good ol' vintage Frye Boots are what caught my eye back in high school, and remain a fond selection today. I recently acquired a pair of true "vintage" Fryes via a great eBay snag. I have to admit, though, that the boot shafts were rather narrow, so I took a few weeks with each boot to apply a boot stretcher to resolve that problem. They fit me fine, now. A thick pair of socks is required, too. Fryes never really were that comfortable. Back in the day, my feet could take more abuse than they can now.

These new-to-me Frye boots were confirmed by men more knowledgeable than me to have been made some time in the early '70s. Cool! Just like what I wore when I was in high school.

I fondly recall seeing a guy in my home room who wore these really cool olive-colored Frye Harness boots. He looked really good in them, and set the trend. Soon after he began wearing them, a lot of other guys started wearing them, too.

I see this same guy from time to time on the Metro as I come in to work. But he reacts to me in a "high-schoolish" way. Meaning, he won't talk to me, or even say "hi." He just runs the other way. We weren't friends in high school, but you would think as an adult he might have the courtesy at least to reply when I say "hello" to him. But he doesn't. Oh well, no big deal. He was kind of aloof in high school -- nothing has changed. Well, one change. While he wears jeans to wherever he works in the city, he wears loafers now. Yuck. He would look better in boots with those jeans.

I will enjoy my "Fryeday" today, enjoying my vintage Fryes and hearing that distinctive "clunk" on the floors of my office as a move about.

Life is short: wear your boots! (Fryes, if you've got 'em!)

No comments: