Thursday, May 13, 2010

Are You That Leather Boot Dude?

The other day when I came home, I changed from my work duds to full leather. Naked leather jeans, leather shirt, and an old but favourite leather vest, my "Skyrider" vest that my partner had made for me when we went to the Sturgis motorcycle rally in 1995. It was an unusually cool, clammy, wet day: perfect for leather.

I heard the mail truck and went out to get the mail. The truck was just pulling up to my box. The postal carrier was busy looking at the mail on his lap, deciding which was mine and which went to the next house. He handed me the mail and then looked at me. Let's say he did a double-take, "leather bounce." That is, he looked up at my face, then down at my boots, then slowly back up again, looking at the leather jeans, then the shirt and vest.

He said, "nice gear! Hey, are you that leather boot dude?"

I didn't quite know what to say. Not knowing if he recognized me from my blog or website, I just played coy, and replied, "thanks for the compliment."

He said, "hey, I recognize you. I was reading your website a few weeks ago and decided to get myself some of those Chippewa fire boots you talked about from that store in San Francisco. See?" Then he pointed to his feet. Darned enough, he had on a pair of Chippewa Firefighter Boots that he had ordered from Stompers Boots. He went on to rave about the comfort of the boots and said that he found my website informational and helpful. Gee, thanks again, man. I'm glad to meet a "happy customer" (LOL, as if I get a commission from Stompers).

He seemed to have all the time in the world, and wanted to know more about my gear that I had on, how comfortable it was, where I got it, how much it cost, how it fit, and so on and so on. I had to bug off because it was damn cold and I didn't have a jacket on. The leather was warm enough for a short trip to the mailbox, but not for standing out in the drizzle and cold shootin' the breeze about boots and leather with the local postal carrier. (Too bad he was a substitute for our regular carrier. I'd like to see him again and continue the conversation.)

Anyway, you never know who you influence or what they think, but it just goes to show that almost anyone can be a boot and leather dude incognito.

Life is short: wear your leather (and BOOTS!)

1 comment:

rolandtaylorjr said...

I love it! (lol) Of course, I've made no secret about Calgary Clay being my inspiration for finding a pair of Chippewa firefighters, or Fynbear inspiring me to find a pair of Knobelbechers or Justin ropers, or for that matter many other boot inspirations. Apparently this mailman in question thinks very much like I do when it comes to boots.