Friday, May 7, 2010

Motorcycling: Balance and Turns

For a long time, I was under the false impression that a motorcycle was a motorcycle was a motorcycle in how they handled. That is, they all have two wheels and I thought they behaved and operated the same way as a bicycle, except they had an engine (LOL!). When you want to turn, you lean your body in the direction of the intended path of travel, and the bike goes that way. Seldom, unless you're going very slowly or stopped, does a biker turn the handlebars. Many people who do not ride motorcycles do not understand that concept: turn by shifting the bike's center of gravity and the bike goes that way. Not like a bicycle and turn the handlebars. 'nuf said about that.

However, there's more to turning a motorcycle than balance and leaning. I am not a physicist, but how a motorcycle handles turns has a lot to do with its center of gravity. Smaller, lighter-weight bikes (like my 750) didn't corner well, and turned in wide, sweeping angles. That's because it's center of gravity was rather high. My Dyna Low Rider turned sharper, but I still found myself stopping short sometimes and self-correcting when I couldn't turn the bike as tightly as the curve I was going around required. It felt like the bike was going to tip over with me on it!

When I got my Road King, I was thinking that because it is a bigger, heavier bike and because its seat height was a little higher than the Low Rider that my turning radius also would be wider. However, I found the opposite was true. During self-directed and on-range practice sessions, I discovered that I could turn the bike much more sharply than I thought I could.

Then it dawned on me: this is what the bike cops do. I have watched them at various police motorcycle rodeos and have been amazed at how skilled they were in being able to turn their bikes so sharply and not lose control of it or have it topple over. Just like you see in this video:


A professional motorcycle instructor explained the physics and mechanics to me. A lot of what he said was so technical, it went over my head. But what I learned was this:
  • Smaller bikes don't turn as sharply as larger bikes
  • The lower one is seated on a motorcycle, the more likely the rider can steer it through a curve closely
  • "Big and Heavy" does not necessarily equal "hard to turn tightly."
Some riders, like my friend Sue, have explained that they have felt uncomfortable when turning their Harley (or other large motorcycle) while riding at speed. That indeed may be the case if the bike's center of gravity is at a point that makes the bike feel top-heavy or wobbly. The best way to deal with it is to practice, practice, practice. (Sure seems as if I say that often, doesn't it? Well, it's true!)

Drive to an open parking lot, preferably a lot that is level and free of debris such as sand, dirt, or gravel. Practice driving in circles, making the circle tighter and tighter as you go around. Don't drive so fast as to make yourself dizzy, but don't drive so slowly that the bike isn't in control of its motion. (What I mean is that you should drive fast enough such that you are leaning into the curves rather than steering slowly using the handlebars to point the front wheel.)

Turn around and practice going the other direction. It is very likely that you will find that you are more comfortable with right-sweeping turns or left-sweeping turns, but not both. For example, while I am right-handed, I am more comfortable with left-sweeping turns. I can take them faster and closer than their right counterpart. So I take time to practice doing the right-sweeping turns more, because I need more experience.

It really doesn't matter how long you have been riding. You develop a degree of comfort and skill with this procedure by practicing and actually riding that bike.

Most bikers will admit (if they're honest) that they have trouble with taking a curve and turning while the bike is at speed on the road. The best way to counter that is to practice. You will learn how far you can push your bike -- and yourself -- and develop confidence in your skills.

Life is short: ride your motorcycle confidently!

No comments: