Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Travelers Do Stupid Things

Photo above: my view of Mt. Rainer and the Cascades after departure from Seattle

For about 20 years in my old job, I traveled about 150,000 - 200,000 miles each year, going to some 70 - 80 locations, primarily throughout the United States. Large cities, small towns, islands, deserts, and everywhere in between.

I do not work for that employer any more, nor travel nearly as much. And after airport security was forever changed after the attacks of September 11, 2001, traveling by air has been nothing but a big PITA.

But it can also be amusing if you look and don't let stupid things other people do annoy you. Here are some things that I observed on my recent trip to and from Seattle:
  • Going through security at BWI, after a woman takes off her shoes to run them through the x-ray, she asks the TSA agent staffing the machine, "will your machine be able to show me if I need to replace the soles on my shoes?"
  • [Yuppie carrying a huge cup of expensive coffee at security]: "Hell no, I won't give you my coffee! I 'need it'!" (Yeah, right... just admit it, you spent US$7 on a cup of coffee and you didn't read the signs that you can't bring it through security. Duhhh...)
  • [very important guy in a suit to security agent]: "I don't have time for this. My flight leaves in ten minutes!" (Well, dumb-dumb, get up an hour earlier next time!)
  • [Ding-dong trying to carry three bags onto the plane, but stopped by the gate agent demanding that he check one bag]: "No, I have to have these bags when we land. My stuff is very important! (Yeah, you're important, too. I'm really impressed.)
  • [Guy trying to put two bags in the overhead bin when asked five times to put one under the seat on the full flight]: "I need legroom!" (Yeah, well, your convenience and comfort is much more important that everyone else's, isn't it?)
But everyone isn't a self-centered jerk. I also noticed:
  • Younger, tall guy lifting bags for three other people when the plane was loading and unloading.
  • A woman sharing a meal that she brought on-board with her seat mate.
  • Two men taking a middle seat (each) in the back so a young couple departing for their honeymoon could sit together in the ransom-payment "economy-plus" seating.
  • Many displays of patience, which these days, is more necessary than ever.
As I said, traveling these days isn't much fun, especially when people say and do dumb things and think only of themselves. When they cooperate, follow the rules, and listen, the experience is much better.

Life is short: plan ahead, relax, and think before you act.

No comments: