Saturday, May 8, 2010

Back in the Saddle

Good news: I have returned this week to getting back on my motorcycle and riding from my home to our Metro station, and then riding the Metro into work. It is hell to try to commute into the city on my bike, and my employer subsidizes our Metro commuting costs, so it is wise to use public transit to get to my office. But it sure is sweet to ride again from home to the Metro and back -- and save the cost of parking at the Metro station. Things are slowly getting back to "normal"!

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of enjoying lunch with two guys who are motor officers in different jurisdictions in a state north of me. They arrived in DC early for Police Week (which begins Sunday and events last through the entire week). They will be among the hundreds gathering for Law Ride on Sunday, and I'll be there, too. Of course, on Friday, they were off duty and in tourist garb -- t-shirt, shorts, and sneakers. But I forgave them for me being the only one to show up in boots (giggle.)

We had an enjoyable, wide-ranging conversation, including some talk about boots. They still like their Dehners, though they wear them only when in uniform and on-duty. Otherwise, they wear tactical boots when riding their personal Harleys. At least that's what they told me, though one sheepishly admitting wearing sneakers on his Harley from time to time. I gave him hell for that! He agreed that wearing sneakers on a big bike was unsafe, and promised me that he wouldn't do it again. I forgave him, but promised my wrath if I caught him ever doing that again! LOL!

Life is short: enjoy riding when you can! (and in BOOTS!)

No comments: