Monday, May 10, 2010

Riding Again

I had the pleasure yesterday of riding in an annual event called "Law Ride." It is a ride where motor officers and their supporters, like me, ride our motorcycles from an assembly point in Washington, DC, past the U.S. Capitol Building, to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial. We park and then watch a ceremony that pays tribute to law enforcement officers who have died in the line of duty.

I enjoy this event because it brings a purpose to what is otherwise a pleasure anyway: riding my motorcycle.

This year, there were far fewer motor officers than have participated in past years. Most of us think the reason for the lower attendance is because of the economy. Local governments, where (most of) these officers work are slow to feel the effects of an economic downturn, and are even slower recovering. While most officers attend this event on their own time and spend their own money to get there, it is still a burden back home to be away. Plus, I heard that a number of local law enforcement agencies have cut their motor officer contingent completely.

I did see some cops from Austin and Dallas, Texas, and Orlando, Florida. These were the ones who came from the most distant locations (that I saw). However, I was disappointed that the big contingent from Sacramento County, California, didn't come this year. But I can imagine that it must cost a lot of money to pack up their bikes in big rigs and transport them cross-country to DC for a week, not to mention the cost of housing, meals, etc.

The ride was fun, the weather was a bit cool but pleasant, and the views were good. What was most important -- remembering law enforcement officers who have died -- is something that I did, personally, for several officers I have known over the years. I'm glad I went. I am glad that I was able to go.

It was also a pleasure to see my fellow boot blogger, Cliff, again, his friend Bullneck, and a friend of mine who is into boots and came to the staging area to visit.

I am working on photos that I took at the event, and will post them on my website when I have them ready.

Life is short: remember those who make the ultimate sacrifice by giving their lives in the line of duty -- and their families and loved-ones, who miss them every day.

No comments: