Friday, April 29, 2011

The Juggling Act

Man, this week has been nuts. Believe it or not, I am still recovering from jet lag from my trip to Alaska last week. Either that, or I'm reacting to tree pollen which is extremely high this time of year. The trees in our backyard forest were slow to leaf out this year due to a damp, cool Spring. But this week it has warmed up quite a bit, and the trees have "popped" with lots and lots and lots of pollen. Greenish-yellow film is all over everything. I've had to keep the windows closed to keep that stuff out.

My work is going well, but has really ramped up. A huge conference now to plan and conduct in early June, mandated by action in Congress. The short notice isn't really that much of a surprise, but now I've got 14 - 16 hour days running up to that event. The Boss said, "we are relying on your unique set of talents." How's that for pressure? LOL!

I thought that was enough, but then the Super-Big Cheese -- the one in charge of the whole agency for whom I work -- sought me out yesterday to give me his insights on what he wants done. Man, I didn't even know that he really knew me. I mean, he knew I was here, tangentially, but apparently last week several people advised him that I was who I was and was at his service, so Boom! Busy! Colleagues trying to be funny said, "that's why you're paid the big bucks." Ha!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, my twin brother is in town and is also working long days by attending a lot of meetings in the city. He arrived home the past two nights late and tired. I give him something to eat and chat for a few minutes, then head to bed. He stays up for hours, working. I see him in the morning, and have the pleasure of preparing breakfast for him before he heads out to conquer the world of his diplomatic mission.

My partner remains steady as a rock. His work is busy, but not overwhelming. His schedule is dependable and predictable. He isn't fussing that I'm having to work so many hours this week. As he said, he figured this would happen once they got to know me at my new office and learned how I could apply my skills and talents to meet dynamic and ever-changing demands and needs.

No more travel for me for a while except from home to countless meetings related to this big deal event coming up. That's fine. It's what I do. It's what I enjoy. I have an incredibly talented and dedicated group of colleagues and collaborators on whom I will rely to get this done.

Confucius said, "choose a job you love, and you won't have to work a day in your life." I do love what I do... but it IS exhausting!

Life is short: keep busy!

No comments: