Saturday, April 2, 2011

Tree Viewing - Not

This is the time of year when the cherry trees around the Tidal Basin in Washington, DC, are in full bloom.

In years past, whilst working in the city, I would take some time out to go view them. Now that my current job is in the suburbs, going into the city just to see the trees is not something that I want to do any more. I mean, they look the same each year, and as lovely as they are, this year we've decided to take a pass.

My partner works in the city, close to where the trees are in bloom. I asked him the other day if he took a walk to see them. He replied, "are you kidding?" When I probed further, he explained that the crowds of tourists were too much to bear. I understand, I've seen it.

I guess we can say, "been there, done that" and thus, we don't plan to make a trek to see the trees this year. They are lovely, adding to the grace and beauty of what makes Washington, DC, so special. I am glad the crowds are plentiful, as their tourist dollars help the local economy.

If you go to see them, enjoy. If you don't, I understand why.

Meanwhile, if you wish, you can see pictures that I have posted of past visits to see the cherry trees in bloom on my website, here.

No comments: