Monday, December 19, 2011

Santa's Boots

Santa is getting ready to make his rounds. Have you been naughty or nice?

Funny, since my posting the other day reminding folks of the great deal on $20 off any order of $200 or more from Stompers Boots, I have received six -- count 'em, six! -- requests for information on what kinds of boots would Santa wear, based on viewing the Tom of Finland sketch, shown here.

Hmmm... hard to see the boots for the image illustrated elsewhere... but I digress.

I will answer seriously.... First off, you have to remember that these images, while very life-like-looking, are a talented artist's illustrations. Not real. In image #1, above, the boots have a dress instep (no laces, buckle, or strap at the instep), and look like police patrol boots.

Two current-day manufacturers of boots like that are Dehner Boots of Omaha, Nebraska, USA, and Wesco (West Coast Shoe Company) of Scappoose, Oregon, USA -- near Portland. I have both of these kinds of boots, and like their style. (Here are my most recent dress instep Dehners and here are my traditional Wesco Motor Patrol Boots.) You can arrange to get either manufacturer's boots through my friends at Stompers Boots. Tell 'em BHD sent you, and get US$20 off a pair.

The second image that Tom of Finland drew showing Santa in boots is harder to determine what kind of boots are shown, because the illustration is more of the ToF hunk than his boots. You can see that the boot has two straps on the shaft. Traditional engineer boots, at least available today, have only one strap. I have seen some guys doing the ToF look-alike contest who have worn Chippewa Hi-Shine engineer boots. Those boots cost about half of a new pair of Dehners, or one-third of a new pair of Wesco Motor Patrol Boots. They are also available from Stompers Boots.

If you do want to play Santa for those who have been nice, naughty, or in between, choose the right boots!

I'll be back in a couple days -- taking a short break to continue to give my mother-in-law her every-two-hour feedings.

Life is short: wear boots with a smile!

No comments: