Monday, May 19, 2008

Harley-ticipating

The Harley-Davidson Motor Company has stopped production on all new motorcycles this year. Their official spin is that the bad economy has slowed business. What they don't say is that they had glutted the market by over-production of motorcycles for the past several years. Most people who wanted a Harley have one, or two.... But put this President's mismanagement of our economy together with stopped production, and you end up with fewer bikes being available, dealers being less willing to negotiate price, and encountering those dreaded wait-lists. (I had to wait four months for my 1994 Harley).

Do you remember, perhaps as a kid, being told that if you save long enough, you will have enough money to buy what you want? Well, I had been saving diligently for years for a new Harley. I reached my goal in January this year. I started kicking tires of new Harleys since then.

I had promised my partner that I wouldn't buy a new bike until I sold the one that I already had. The economic downturn that affects sales of new bikes also affected the used-motorcycle market. Mine had been up for sale since February. Fortunately, through some aggressive re-promotion on CraigsList, someone bought it from me and he took it home with him this past Saturday.

A sales guy at my local Harley dealer told me that the Crimson Red Road King on which I have had my eye on is the only one left, and he won't be getting any more this year. Saturday afternoon, I confirmed my order for this new Road King. A color-matched tour pak will be installed on the back (it's like a trunk), and a back rest on that, so perhaps some day in the future, my partner can join me on rides again. I also ordered a few more safety features too. But that's it; I'm really not into adding a lot of chrome and other frills. I think the bike looks great just as it is.

Soon enough, the dealer will call me and say the bike is ready to pick up. Can't wait! Rumble, rumble....

No comments: