Thursday, February 5, 2009

Do U IM?

R U Kidding? It took me the longest time to figure out the short-hand code that frequent users of text messaging and instant messaging systems. I do not use either of these systems.

Texting drives me nuts. I really can not explain why, but I guess I am "of a certain age" where texting is not a preferred method of communication. I know that "texters" use abbreviations of certain words to keep the message short so it does not take as long to write as well as not take up as much room on a cell phone display. However, those abbreviations so abuse the English language that I can't stand it. Just call me old-fashioned.

Instant Messaging systems are also something I choose not to use. I tried it for a while two years ago, but became annoyed with it rather quickly. What I disliked was that I would be working on my computer, and some message would pop up. At first, I would reply and continue a conversation, then lost track of what I was working on.

Then I decided only to respond when I was not busy, but even then, I found those who sent me I.M. messages would expect me to reply if I were on-line, and would get annoyed with me if I did not reply when I did not want to or have time to do so.

Then I decided to change my settings on I.M. to be "invisible" only for the certain times of day when I might have time to communicate. Turns out that there were fewer and fewer times when I had the time to have I.M. conversations. And my partner gets annoyed with me when I spend too much time on the computer when I am at home. He is right. He is my number one man, so I should be paying attention to him and not fooling around with the computer all night (on the nights I am at home and not at a meeting.)

At work, I discovered that my subordinate staff were spending hours and hours using I.M. to communicate with their friends, and not getting any work done. So eventually management persuaded the I.T. staff to block all I.M. systems at our place of employement. That is just as well. When I am working, I should be working, not I.M.'ing with people.

Anyway, when someone asks me to "text" them or if they can "message" me, using a text or instant message system, I say, "sorry, I don't have it. Send me an email or do something really weird: pick up the phone and call me."

Do I IM? Nope. It hasn't proven useful to me, and has been more of an annoyance than a help. Am I old, and am I the only one who feels this way? (My partner doesn't count. He doesn't even use the telephone, much less other communications systems.)

No comments: